Prabhu Jotumal Chugani famously known as Prabhu Wafa was born on 19-Sept-1915 in Larkana, Sindh (Now in Pakistan). Prabhu Wafa was one of the senior poets of Sindhi community. He was known not only as lyrical poet, but also as a ‘thinker’. Inspired with ‘Sufi’ thoughts, he was a citizen of the world. Prabhu Wafa was a poet of outstanding calibre. He left for heavenly abode on 17-December-2012 in the morning time.
Prabhu Wafa has composed ‘Ghazal’, ‘Geet’, ‘Bait’, ‘Vaaee’, Rubaaee’ and ‘Haiku’ etc. He is the first Sindhi poet who composed ‘Panjkadas’, a poem of five lines, a new form, which has sweetness of ‘Ghazal’ and depth of ‘Rubaaee’. Our another major poet, Hari Dilgir has applauded his poem, ‘The Cukkoo’ and has compared him with world-renowned poets, like ‘Shelly’ & ‘Wordsworth’ on the same topic. Wafa is also known as patriot & loves his country. (Official Website: [PrabhuWafa.com ])
- ‘Parwaaz’ (Flight), Geet, Ghazal, Nazm, Rubaaees, Poetry, 1962.
- ‘Surkh Gulaab, Suraha Khwaab’ (Red Roses, Fragrant Dreams), Panjakadas, a new form of poetry of five lines, 1980.
- ‘Maan Azal Ji Unj Aahyaan’ (I am an Eternal Thirst), Geet, Gazal, Nazm, Bait, Poetry, 1990.
- ‘Tun Saagar Maan Lehr’ (You are the ocean, I Am Mere Ripple), Geet, Gazal, Nazam & Shridhanjallis, Poetry, 1993.
- ‘Aaina Ain Aksa’ (Mirrors & Images), Mini poems of three lines (Haiko), 1994.
- Shri Prabhu ‘Wafa’ has written 7 books on poetry.
- One of the poem ‘Khushbu’ from his book ‘Surkh Gulaab, Suraha Khwaab’ was translated in Russian language and published in ‘Indian Poetry of 20th Centry Collection’, 1999.
- Jhankaar – 1958
- Parwaaz – 1962
- Surkh Gulab – 1980
- Paigam: Translation in Sindhi Of The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran – 1983
- Maan Azal Ji Uunj Aahyan – 1990
- Tun Saagar Maan Leher – 1993
- Aaeena Ain Aksa – 1994
- Sij Lahan Te Aah – 1999
- Luchhe Payee Yaktaare Ji Taar – 2010
Awards / Recognitions
- Sahitya Akademi award for ‘Surkkh Gulaab Suraha Khwaab’, 1981, (At New Delhi by , Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India).
- ‘Gaurav Puraskar’ for significant literary contributions, 1990 (At Mumbai by Govt. of Maharashtra).
- Award for total contributions to Sindhi literature, 1992 (At Mumbai by Maharashtra State Sindhi Sahitya Academy).
- Award for significant literary contributions, 1998 (At Mumbai by Priyadarshani Academy).
- Iswari Bai Buxani Award, 1993 (At Pune by Ishwaribai Foundation).
Song by Mahesh Chander on the lyrics of Prabhu Wafa
Songs by Shivani Vaswani on the lyrics of Prabhu Wafa